Parent Education Certificate
The online Parent Education Certificate program will prepare you for a career in health care, social service agencies and institutions, and faith-based organizations as well as public school parent education programs, preschools, childcare centers, and Head Start programs outside of Minnesota or outside of the Minnesota Early Childhood and Family Education (ECFE) program.
The Certificate program DOES NOT meet eligibility requirements for working in Minnesota’s Early Childhood Family Education (ECFE) program.
In Minnesota, a parent educator license is required for employment in Early Childhood Family Education (ECFE) programs offered by public school districts. Learn more about the Parent and Family Education Licensure program.
The Parent and Family Education Program Manual holds important information about licensure, online coursework, tuition and financial aid, and more.
Having the coursework entirely online is very helpful in order to balance work, family, school, and life.
The Parent Education certificate requires a total of 15-18 credits. Students choose an individual program or combine programs depending on their professional goals and the requirements of the positions they seek.
- March 1 for fall admission
- October 1 for spring admission
Begin your application
If you have any questions, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Financing your education
Visit OneStop Student Services: Finances for information on tuition, fees, and financial aid.
Admission to the Department of Family Social Science (FSoS) is based on a review of multiple sources of information:
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited U.S. academic institution or foreign equivalent, evidence of strong academic preparation, and the ability and desire to perform graduate level scholarship.
- Alignment of applicant's professional goals with the Parent and Family Education program's goals to prepare practitioners to design, deliver, and evaluate educational programs for parents and families.
- Unique contributions applicant would make to FSoS values, including social relevance, collaboration, inclusiveness, excellence, innovation, and diversity.