Apply for the Parent Education Certificate
The following information is requested specifically by the Department of Family Social Science's Parent and Family Education program.
1. Application Form (PDF)
Upload in Materials section: Graduate Program Additional Material of online application - Upload #1.
Indicate the degree you are applying for; verify that all required information has been submitted and that your application is complete.
2. Transcripts/Academic Records
Upload in Academic History section of online application.
You must upload unofficial transcripts or academic records for each higher learning institution where you have earned credit, including partial or incomplete transcripts. Please do not mail in paper copies of your transcripts. There is no need for official transcripts or academic records for initial review. If you are admitted, the University will then request official copies of these materials.
- A GPA of 2.8 (on a 4.0 scale) is required for admission; a 3.0 is preferred.
3. English language assessment tests (TOEFL, MELAB, IELTS)
Report in Test Scores section of online application.
Our program utilizes the operational standards set by the Graduate School for English language proficiency requirements. Visit the Graduate School Admissions website for more information on minimum standards.
4. Letter of Recommendation
See Recommendations section of online application.
One letter of recommendation is required. Ask someone to write a letter of recommendation who can speak to your experience and promise in working with families, parents, and/or children. If possible the letter should also address the likelihood of success in post-baccalaureate study. When you apply, list the name and email of your recommender.
The online application includes a section for you to enter the contact information for your recommender. Please notify the individual you select as your recommender that they will receive an email from the application system with instructions on how to submit their letter.
Upload in Materials section: Personal Statement of online application.
Write a personal statement (500-1000 words) describing your responses to the following:
- How do your long-term professional goals fit with the purpose of the Parent and Family Education program? The purpose of the Parent and Family Education program is to prepare practitioners to design, deliver, and evaluate educational programs for parents and families.
- How does your background contribute to your desire to seek professional development in family education?
- Describe any additional experiences that have prepared you for the Parent and Family Education program in Family Social Science (e.g., experience with online courses, previous graduate level coursework).
Upload in Materials section: Resume/CV of online application.
Tailor your resume to highlight your experiences and achievements working with parents and families.
7. Extenuating Circumstances Statement (Optional)
Upload in Materials section: Graduate Program Additional Material of online application - Upload #2.
While this is not required, if there is something on your transcript that does not accurately reflect who you are as a student, please write up to 500 words documenting unusual circumstances or hardships you have faced and the ways in which you have overcome or responded to them.