Parent Education Certificate
Online professional program
The 15-credit online Parent Education Certificate program will prepare you to design, deliver, and evaluate educational programs in a variety of settings for parents and families.
You will be prepared to plan, coordinate, and teach parent education programs as well as provide services to families with children from early childhood through adolescence.
In Minnesota, a parent educator license is required for employment in Early Childhood Family Education (ECFE) programs offered by public school districts. Learn more about the Parent and Family Education Licensure program.
Parent educators with this credential can also choose to pursue careers in health care, social service agencies and institutions, and faith-based settings in addition to educational settings such as public school parent education programs, preschools, child care centers, and Head Start programs.
Having the coursework entirely online is very helpful in order to balance work, family, school, and life.
- Learn more in the online Parent and Family Education program manual.
- View the program checklist (PDF).
How to apply
- March 1 for fall admission
- October 1 for spring admission
Begin your application and learn more about the Department's specific application requirements for this program on the How to apply page.
If you have any questions, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 612-625-2705.
Financing your education
Visit OneStop Student Services: Finances for information on tuition, fees, and financial aid.
Admission to the Department of Family Social Science is based on a review of multiple sources of information:
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited U.S. academic institution or foreign equivalent, evidence of strong academic preparation, and the ability and desire to perform graduate level scholarship.
- Alignment of applicant's professional goals with the Parent and Family Education program's goals to prepare practitioners to design, deliver, and evaluate educational programs for parents and families.
- Unique contributions applicant would make to FSoS values, including social relevance, collaboration, inclusiveness, excellence, innovation, and diversity.