Kinesiology (B.S)

The bachelor of science (B.S.) program in kinesiology is a comprehensive, science-based academic degree program centered around the physical, biological and social sciences related to the study of physical activity and human movement. Major coursework includes content focusing on human anatomy and physiology, exercise physiology, movement science, sociology, and sport and exercise psychology.

Is kinesiology something for me?

This curriculum provides exceptional academic preparation for students interested in graduate and professional programs in allied health, athletic training, biomechanics, chiropractic medicine, dentistry, ergonomics, exercise physiology, exercise rehabilitation, movement science, motor performance, nursing, occupational therapy, physical education licensure, physical therapy, preventative and rehabilitation medicine, psychology of sport and exercise, sport management, and sport sociology.

Examples of career choices for graduates with a B.S. in kinesiology include, but are not limited to: athletic performance training, athletic trainer, coaching, exercise testing and prescription in clinical and health settings, personal training in health clubs and corporate settings, pharmaceutical sales, physical therapist, physical education teacher, occupational therapist, public health management, fitness/sport/medical device sales, wellness and fitness specialist and youth sports director.

Degree planning

You are ultimately in charge of your destiny. You are responsible for acquiring all necessary information to make the best decisions regarding your education. The information provided in this section of the Web site will help you to identify important resources and information that will assist you in making informed decisions regarding completing your degree.

Degree requirements
Kinesiology degree requirements (UMN catalog)


Commencement is the ceremony the College of Education and Human Development hosts every May to celebrate the students who have or will be graduating within the year.
Degree Clearance is the term used to indicate that the student’s APAS report indicated all curriculum requirements have been completed.
Graduation is completed when all of the student’s degree requirements have been completed and cleared by the University. Graduation/degree clearance results in a diploma.

Preparation procedures

Students who are preparing to graduate must complete the following steps, no later than the due dates listed on the Undergraduate student graduation checklist.

Graduation checklist

  1. Complete the Application for Undergraduate Degree form by the due date listed on the site above.

    Graduation checklist
  2. If you are enrolled in the Coaching Minor/Certificate Program take your Standard First Aid and CPR cards to Student Services at 360 Education Sciences Building, 56 East River Road or scan both sides of your card and send a PDF to Make sure to include your U of M ID number in your email.

  3. Review your APAS report. If you see any red on your APAS report, contact your adviser ASAP.

CEHD Commencement Ceremony

Due to the number of students currently enrolled as majors in the Kinesiology, B.S. the department restricts access to KIN designated courses. If you are an undergraduate student CURRENTLY enrolled in the Kinesiology, B.S. program you are able to register for KIN designated classes. KIN majors please note the following:

  • Many 5000 level KIN courses are graduate level classes – you must get a permission number from the instructor if prompted (restrictions are listed on the registration lists).

  • KIN 1000-4000 level courses that are full – add your name to the waitlist (only if you are a KIN major)

  • KIN majors who have taken the pre-req courses for KIN 3112 outside of the U of M must use the Course Permission Number Request Form to get a permission number.

  • For May term or Summer term permission number requests please use the Course Permission Number Request Form

  • Instructions for Field Experience permission numbers can be found on the respective webpages for Directed Study (KIN 3993) or Supervised Practical Experience (KIN 3696).

Please note: You are not guaranteed a permission number. Instructors have the right to refuse you a permission number if the course is grad level, or class management issues would arise by adding seats.

If you add your request to the Permission Number Form, it will be reviewed by the following criteria:

  1. Are you a KIN student who needs a permission number to register for KIN 3112 because you transferred the pre-reqs (anatomy and/or physics)?

    • Decisions are made based upon how close a student is to graduation.

    • Decisions are made in consultation with the KIN major adviser.

  2. Are you a student in the ICP Health and Wellness Program?
    Students in the ICP Health and Wellness Program are given permission numbers for KIN 3385 after all KIN majors have had a chance to register. Review of these requests will begin on the first day of open registration.

  3. Are you a student who is enrolled in a major outside of KIN, or are you a student who is planning to apply for the KIN major?
    Students who are not currently enrolled in the KIN major are given the lowest priority in the review for permission numbers. If you are a student who wants to take a KIN class as an elective, your request will be reviewed once all KIN majors have had a chance to register, and after all ICP Health and Wellness requests have been reviewed. If you are a student who wants to apply for KIN as your major, the department prefers that you take courses for your major once you are officially enrolled. It is better to begin taking requirements after your official enrollment date so that you are sure you are taking the appropriate courses for graduation(requirements do change).

The number of seats available in a course, and how many permission numbers are available is ultimately made after consultation with the faculty who is teaching the course. The course scheduler and the KIN adviser do everything they can to get students into the courses they need to keep them on track for timely graduation

Kinesiology Major Course Permission Number Request Form

Sport Management or Recreation Administration Permission numbers

Contact the School of Kinesiology ( with questions about permission numbers for courses with a SMGT or REC designator.

If you are a KIN major who needs a permission number for SMGT 3501 follow the steps outlined above.

In the Kinesiology major we believe that hands-on experiences are essential to your ability to formulate your long-term career and life goals. This is why, as part of the Kinesiology B.S., we have opportunities for you to earn academic credit while working outside of the classroom either through observation & participation, or involvement with a research project supervised by a member of the faculty.

Field experience courses can be used to meet your elective credit requirement in the Kinesiology, B.S.

You can apply up to six credits of field experience work toward your Kinesiology major. The areas in which you can earn credit are the Supervised Practical Experience (SPE, KIN 3696) and the Directed Study (KIN 3993, KIN 3993H). Each experience is valuable and can aid in your long-term goals in very different ways.

Supervised Practical Experience (KIN 3696)

The Supervised Practical Experience, commonly referred to as the SPE, is a chance for you to get out into the world and get hands-on experience in clinical work, in coaching, in fitness training, in any area that relates to your Kinesiology B.S. coursework and your long-term career goals.

Some of the benefits of participating in one or more SPE opportunities throughout your time as a Kinesiology major include, but are not limited to:

  • Trying out potential career options in real-world situations.
  • Gaining on-the-job experience that can be used on a résumé or graduate school application.
  • Experience with different styles of management, work climate, and test what type of atmosphere best fits you.
  • Networking with those who work in your field of interest (start building your contact list!)
  • Applying the knowledge you have gained in the classroom to practical experiences.
Steps to proposing an SPE + registering for KIN 3696

Finding a SPE

Proposing a SPE

Registering for KIN 3696

It is your responsibility to locate and communicate with your potential SPE organization. In the same way you would begin the search for a job, you should start identifying potential paid and unpaid positions that connect what you have been studying in Kinesiology with a hands-on, real world, experience. Keep in mind the number of hours you will work for the organization, and make sure that the experience does not negatively impact your academics. The student must complete 45 hours of work for every 1 academic credit earned; however, it is up to the student, and the site supervisor, to agree upon when those hours will be fulfilled. Finally, the experiences should be in areas that will aid in your exploration of your long-term goals.

Some places to find Supervised Practical Experiences include, but are not limited to:

What qualifies as a SPE? Any hands-on experience that exposes you to the philosophies of your coursework in a real-world context is a SPE. Ask yourself if this is an experience that reflects any piece of the academic content in your KIN classes; ask yourself whether this experience is something you would want to put on your résumé; and ask yourself if this is an area in which you would like to work five years from now. Look at your individual strengths, and choose an experience that cultivates them.

Experiences proposed for the SPE CANNOT be of an academic or research oriented nature. This is what the Directed Study (KIN 3993) is for. The SPE is designed as a way for you to earn academic credit for experiences outside of the classroom/research lab.

Before you can register for KIN 3696 you must propose your hands-on experience to the School of Kinesiology
Before submitting a proposal you must:

  1. Research, identify, and secure a position that combines your academic knowledge with your long-term goals.
  2. Work with your site supervisor to identify specific goals/outcomes for your time with the organization. Make sure the supervisor understands that you are getting academic credit for the experience and ask if they are they willing to complete an evaluation of your performance. Agree on a set number of hours/week the student will work for the organization (45hrs/1cr).
  3. You must have appropriate and sufficient health, accident, disability, and hospitalization insurance throughout the SPE. You are required to have health insurance as a student at the University of Minnesota, but should the organization require additional insurance, it is the students’ responsibility to cover those costs.
    Note: The student assumes full responsibility for any undisclosed physical or emotional issues that might impair their ability to complete the experience.
  4. Maintain appropriate and sufficient personal vehicle insurance.
    Note: If the student uses a personal vehicle for work done for the benefit of the organization the University of Minnesota has no liability for personal injury or damage that may result from that use.

To propose a Supervised Practical Experience to your adviser, get detailed information on the SPE website.

Once your SPE Proposal has been reviewed, you will receive an e-mail with further instructions and a permission number so that you can register for KIN 3696. In your proposal you will have requested a number of credits from 1 – 6 depending upon the number of hours you will be working, and the rigor of your experience. Your adviser will specify how many credits you may register for, as well as, the section number of KIN3696 you are to register for.

NOTE: Beginning May Term 2013, students may NOT use multiple experiences for credit in the same semester. It is important that you focus upon the one experience for which you are receiving credit, and plan ahead of time for semester credit totals with your KIN adviser, and your CEHD adviser.

Directed Study (KIN 3993, KIN 3993H)

A Directed Study gives undergraduate students the opportunity to work with faculty on research, scholarly, or creative activities. While a Supervised Practical Experience gives you a chance to work in a field related to the study of Kinesiology, a Directed Study gives you the opportunity to work with a scholar on research being done in the field of human movement.

Steps to proposing a Directed Study + registering for KIN 3993

Finding a Directed Study

Proposing a Directed Study

Registering for KIN 3993

If you are interested in a Directed Study experience, it is the responsibility of the student to educate her/himself on the research interest of the faculty and graduate students in the School of Kinesiology.

Some ways to begin your exploration of the research interests of the faculty and graduate students in Kinesiology include:

Once an appropriate faculty member has been identified, students should contact the faculty to see if they (or one of their graduate students) would be interested and willing to take you on as a directed study student. Some things to keep in mind when proposing a directed study include:

  • Propose the directed study one semester prior to registration
  • You will be expected to be highly motivated and able to work independently
  • You should have some experience with the topic of research prior to proposing a directed study
  • Your proposal should be thought-out and well-articulated, focusing on the goals you wish to accomplish while in the directed study.
  • Keep in mind that this is a voluntary activity on the part of the faculty and they are not required to approve your request. Have respect for their position and their time.

Please note: if you propose a directed study to a faculty member outside of the School of Kinesiology, you cannot receive credit toward your Kinesiology B.S. major requirements. For example, if you propose a directed study to faculty of the Psychology Department, you must register for a PSY Directed Study.

  • Faculty will determine the credit/hour ratio on a case-by-case basis.
  • Faculty will give the student a permission number, and the student will register for the section of KIN3993 in which the faculty’s name is listed.
  • Students may request grading of A – F, or S – N
Departmental adviser

Colin Rogness
612-301-5265 |
107 Cooke Hall
1900 University Ave SE, Minneapolis MN 55414

Reasons to meet with Colin:

  • Degree planning

  • Kinesiology courses

  • Focus elective planning

  • Practicum and experiences

  • Study abroad

CEHD student services advisers

Call or email CEHD Student Services to schedule an appointment with your student services adviser.

Phone: 612-625-3339


All CEHD Student Services advisers are located at: 

360 Education Sciences Building
56 East River Rd, Minneapolis MN 55455

Reasons to meet with as CEHD Student Services Adviser:

  • Degree planning
  • Liberal education requirements
  • Resources at the University
  • Study abroad
  • Readmission into the program, probation appointment or leave of absence discussion
Program details
(University catalog)
Careers and Experiences

The department strongly encourages students to meet with a career counselor in CEHD Career Services to work on developing their marketing materials (resume and cover letter) and their preparedness to find jobs and experiences:

Career information on the CEHD Career Services Web site

Careers in Kinesiology on the CEHD Career Services Web site


All documents should be turned in to the mailboxes in 107 Cooke Hall unless otherwise noted.

Petition for Students in Undergraduate and Professional Programs

APAS Exception Request form

Declaring Your Major


Directed Study gives undergraduate students the opportunity to work with faculty on research, scholarly, or creative activities.
Access the Directed Study Proposal Form here.