About Upward Bound
TRIO Upward Bound is a federally funded, U.S. Department of Education equal educational opportunity program. Specifically, TRIO Upward Bound is a college preparatory program for low-income and educationally disadvantaged high school students. TRIO Upward Bound works with students on a long-term and intensive basis and helps generate the skills needed for selected high school students to succeed in postsecondary education. TRIO Upward Bound has served 105 low-income and first generation students annually since 2001 and 85 students each previous year since 1965.
- To improve students' academic skills through intensive classroom instruction
- To further students' academic, personal, social, and cultural development
- To provide educational opportunities not usually available to low-income youth
- To motivate students to graduate from high school, matriculate to, and graduate from postsecondary education
- To enhance the academic relationships among students, parents, and high school staff members for student success
- A 5 week residential academic summer program with emphasis on basic and higher-level skill improvement in academic courses such as English, math, science, language, and study skills. The program also offers academic enrichment classes, including career development, college planning, and student leadership development.
- Cultural, social, and recreational activities designed to foster personal growth, build leadership skills, and broaden student awareness and appreciation of the world
- An academic year program offering weekly grade-specific academic courses, tutoring, advising, and counseling.
- Monitoring and tracking of students academic and co-curricular activities.
- Assistance with college selection, admission, entrance exams, financial aid applications, and scholarships applications.
- Intervention methods to assist and encourage students toward positive academic achievement.
Employment opportunities TRIO
UB hiring seasons
Upward Bound typically hires during two key periods of each year:
- Academic year: We are fully staffed for fall. Upward Bound hires classroom instructors, teaching assistants, tutors, and office assistants with a spring start date.
- Summer: Upward Bound hires classroom instructors, residence hall assistants, and administrative assistants in the spring with a summer start date.
If you would like to support us, please consider giving.
Minnesota Upward Bound programs and the high schools they serve are listed at Minnesota TRiO, the professional association for personnel affiliated with TRiO programs throughout the state of Minnesota.
Revised Sept. 2012