Teacher licensure process
Common acronyms in teacher education
- ILP: Initial Licensure Program
- MTLE: Minnesota Teacher Licensure Exam
- OTE: Office of Teacher Education
- PELSB: Professional Educator Licensing and Standards
1. Complete coursework and requirements
- Check your Academics tab in MyU to make sure all requirements are complete and your final grades have been posted.
- If you have taken coursework at other institutions that applies to your license, send all official transcripts to your program adviser.
Be sure to file the appropriate Academic Policy Petition form with your faculty adviser and with OTE prior to applying for your license.
- Pass the Minnesota Teaching Licensure Exams (MTLE).
- Get your fingerprints on an PELSB-issued fingerprint card. Cards are available in the OTE office, 110 Wulling Hall, and fingerprinting can be done on campus by UMPD.
- Print and sign the Transcript Release Form [PDF]
- Complete the edTPA assessment and the CEHD exit survey. Information about these will be sent to your UMN email.
- Adult Basic Education and Parent Education applicants: You do not need to complete the edTPA assessment.
2. Apply for your first Minnesota teaching license
Already have a Minnesota teaching license? See our license areas and learn how to apply for an additional license.
- Review PELSB online application system
- Complete Tier 3 License Application. (Fill out Tier 2 License Application*, if you did not pass the required MTLE tests.)
- If you have not received your M.Ed. degree, enter “5 Yr. Program” in Education Background section
- Verification of Completion of a State-Approved Licensure Program Section: Fill out the Student/Teaching/Practicum/Internship information
- * You must have an active job offer from a MN school district in order to be eligible for Tier 2 license.
3. Submit application packet
A complete application packet includes:
- Tier 3 or Tier 2 Application
- A check or money order payable to "PELSB." The fee is listed on your application.
- PELSB fingerprint card
- Printout of edTPA submission confirmation email
- Signed Transcript Release Form
Mail or bring your complete packet to:
Office of Teacher Education
110 Wulling Hall
86 Pleasant Street SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455
4. Track your progress
We will review, sign, and send your application packet to the Professional Educator Licensing and Standards (PELSB). This usually takes about two weeks, but can take longer during the busy summer season. PELSB typically takes 8-12 weeks to process a license; you can look up your license progress online through PELSB's website.
If you have further questions, please contact the Office of Teacher Education at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our additional licenses are added to a current five-year, full-time professional Minnesota teaching license. If you want to add a new field or scope to your teaching, an additional license may be the path for you. Common additional licensure paths include, but are not limited to:
- Elementary licensed teachers adding a 5-8 middle school specialty area license.
- Secondary licensed teachers adding a new secondary specialty area, or a middle school license in their current (or new) specialty area.
- Additional licenses are also available in special education, English as a Second Language (ESL), 14 world languages, and more.
See our license areas and learn how to apply for an additional license.
Interested in working in educational administration? Our administrative licensure program prepares leaders in the following areas:
- K-12 Principal
- Director of special education
- Director of community education
Courses are offered throughout the year with evening courses offered during fall, spring, and summer semesters, and day courses offered during summer semester.