Education and Human Development

Mental health and wellbeing

At the College of Education and Human Development, we value each individual’s complete holistic health and wellbeing. CEHD and the University of Minnesota (U of M) offer a variety of support services for our students through providing mental health, wellbeing, food security, and financial resources.

If you are experiencing a crisis, you can call the U of M Crisis Line at 612-301-4673 (available 24/7), U of M Textline 24/7 by texting “UMN” to 61222.

Mental health resources

You will find the most up-to-date information about U of M’s mental health services. Additional campus departments may also be of support in times of need:

    The Disability Resource Center works with students, faculty/instructors, staff, and guests with documented disabilities to facilitate access on an individualized, case-by-case basis.

    The Aurora Center serves all victims/survivors/concerned people of sexual assault, relationship violence, stalking, and sexual harassment at the U of M.

    The Student Parent Help Center (SPHC) helps student parents in achieving their dream of a college degree. SPHC has a long history of serving all parenting students, including moms, dads, and adoptive siblings and other relatives.

    Let’s Talk is a program that provides informal virtual and in person drop-in consultations for U of M students throughout the academic year. A more in depth description of Let’s Talk including hours, additional locations, and counselor bios can be found here.

    Note: Let’s Talk is not a substitute for formal counseling and does not constitute mental health treatment, but counselors can listen to specific problems, provide support, help explore solutions and give information about other resources.

    Wellbeing resources

      BeWELL defines wellbeing as "a sense of wholeness and harmony that, in addition to physical and mental health, encompasses a number of other factors. wellbeing in interprofessional health students may call for a greater need to emphasize stress reduction, self care, and resilience-building in order to find balance. BeWELL is committed to providing space, activities, and programming to support the cultivation of community and wellbeing in interprofessional health students at the University of Minnesota."

      RecWell offers a variety of ways to aid in wellbeing including: Exercise (cardio equipment, swimming, etc.), Play (Adaptive sports, intramurals, etc.), Restore (outdoor trips, massage therapy, etc.), Learn (Swimming lessons, fitness lessons, etc.), and Work (multiple positions both indoors and outdoors).

      Additional wellbeing resources include: massage therapy, meditation, study and community spaces, wellbeing resources, and YOU@UMN.

      Food insecurity resources

        Boynton Health’s Nutritious U Food Pantry provides fresh and healthy food to students who struggle to get enough to eat.

        Financial resources

        There are various financial resources available to students.

          To request student emergency funds, contact One Stop Student Services at For international students experiencing an emergency, visit the ISSS Emergency Funds page. Eligible students must be in F-1/J-1 visa status and enrolled for the current term.

          Apply for financial aid through the FAFSA. Must be a U S citizen or permanent resident. Please refer to Onestop for more information.

          One Stop offers Financial Wellness Counseling to discuss money management, loans, credit, banking and identity theft.

          SPHC offers child care grants, resources for family housing, and other support services for student parents. Graduate and professional student parents can contact the SPHC at or at (612) 626-6015.

          Affinity groups

          Student Counseling Services (SCS) offers a range of online educational workshops, affinity groups to connect and create community, and counseling groups for increased support in moving toward healing or change around specific challenges.

          Bias incidents

          To report a bias incident anonymously, visit Bias Response and Referral Network (BRRN) UReport. You can also email

          The Bias Response and Referral Network (BRRN) responds to reports of bias incidents on the Twin Cities campus. The BRRN’s goal is to contribute to a campus climate that is welcoming, inclusive, and respectful for all. The BRRN responds to reports of bias by referring reporters to appropriate campus offices that can effectively respond through investigation, educational coaching, or other resources, depending on the nature of the incident. The BRRN does not have an investigatory or disciplinary role. The BRRN also provides impacted parties with information about confidential support resources, and tracks all bias incidents reported in an incident log to inform campus leaders of emerging trends. The BRRN promotes education and dialogue and affirms the University's commitment to equity and diversity, free speech, and academic freedom.

          This content originally appeared on the School of Public Health website and is used with permission.