So, what exactly is an informational interview???
An informational interview is a 20 – 30 minute meeting with an
experienced professional focused on gathering information about a career
or job you are interested in. Typically, informational interviews are in person but there are so many ways to connect virtually!
Why conduct an informational interview?
There are so many benefits to doing an informational interview! Informational interviews can help you:
- Explore careers of interest and clarify your career path and
- Discover opportunities available in a given field,
including careers you did not know existed - cool, right?
- Learn the realities of the world of work and what to
expect in a given career field.
- Meet people in your career field and begin to build
- Unexpectedly find mentors in your field.
- Develop confidence for internship and job
- Get the inside scoop on obtaining internships and
jobs in the field.
- Observe the work environment and learn what the
career is like from someone doing the job.